What's worse?

Go down

What's worse?

Post  eggle97 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:20 pm

A room full or strangers or someone suggesting a kick about?

I'm a bit old and thankfully the kick about thing has finally gone away!

My biggest fear at the moment ... some bright spark at work has suggested a team building excercise - which is probably close to combining the two. So far i have managed my career by just being a "bit odd", but what do i do now? This has all of the potential of being an absolute nightmare (freezing cold, lots of walking, making rafts, zip slides, assault causes etc)

I spend most of my life being as normal as i can be - and i get away with it - i'm lucky that my life by and large lets me camoflarge my problems. I'm good at my job and am largely left to my own devices. So ... do i come clean and talk about my condition or will that just lead to more problems? I really dont want to become the centre of attention in this way.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome - people should use this more, its not often you get to talk to other people in the same boat. although it could really do with a spell checker! Very Happy

eggle97

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What's worse?

Post  lo tae shao on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:46 pm

I suggest making a suggestion that all people who suggest “team building weekends” be castrated immediately to save any future generations being scarred from their mind numbing activities.

Seriously though, I can only speak from personal expieriance here but talking to people about dyspraxia who’ve never heard of it brings about two responces;

A) The pratronising moron, who treats and speaks to you like a child because they think you’re stupid.

B) The non-belieaver, who thinks it’s either something you’ve made up or you’re just a bit shy/clumsy etc.

I’m a strong believer in batteling through problems rather than ignoring them, but with things you just can’t do I suggest ducking out. Can you pull a sicky? Bad leg/arm/head? Dentist/doctors etc.

I agree about more people using this, you’re the first adult I’ve spoken to with dyspraxia, usually I only come across worried parents.

P.S. A spell checker would be lovely!

All the best

Sam

x

lo tae shao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eggle97 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:12 pm

hi sam - finally a response!

Nice to hear from you. Castration - possibly a bit strong - but then again. affraid

We have now moved and had those firm fav's paint balling and skiing thrown in the mix. I don't believe in all of this team stuff anyway - you either get on and work trogether or you don't. It is like the office night out - everyone goes out and love's each other by the end of the evenign but by the time the hangover has worn off then everything is back to normal.

Have you used the national forum - does that have any more traffic - cant beleive that west yorks is big enough to have a forum of its own.

Maybe we should give the national one a go - make some noise and get people talking - what you think? Maybe it should be expanded to those with similar types of probems. I am new to the west yorkshire group, previously was invovled in the Nottingham - what is the WY group like?

Feel free to MSN - my details are posted in my profile

eggle97

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eggle97 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:21 pm

ok just checked national one and last person to leave a post was me 2 weeks ago.

eggle97

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lo tae shao on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:57 pm

Hmm paint balling and skiing, have to be torn ligaments or twisted ankle I recon. Hehe Very Happy

No team building is a concept that always escaped me, I have to say. Learning how to be fake is what it should be called. Prancing around being obnoxiously nice to people you can’t stand.

What's the name of the national website? I've found a couple more forums since being on here, I came to the WY one about 2 months ago but you’re the only person that responded. I’ve not been to any meetings or anything.

http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forums/

http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/ (possibly for your son, but there are a few young adults in there too)

http://www.matts-hideout.co.uk/ (The author of caged in chaos is on there)

I sent a request to you on MSN but if it doesn’t go through, mine is smergyl@lycos.co.uk.

BTW Dave (H2B) asked if you own a Patrick eggle “born” in 97? (followed by a short drool)

Sam

x

lo tae shao

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eggle97 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:05 am

yes he is quite right - i have a berlin pro 24

cu on msn soon

nick

eggle97

View user profile