can anyone give me some advice please

Go down

can anyone give me some advice please

Post  buddywebster on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi think my son may have dyspraxia,
my son is now eleven years old,a few years ago i had him tested at the 3d centre Halifax,and he does have dyslexia.
After finding out my son had dyslexia no help was given to help in the school.
we decided to move in from the junior school he went to and in year 3 we changed schools.
we have always had problems with is learning reading writting and coordination but at junior school he managed to get by.
Now he has reached the age to go to senior school things are changing within the first week he was there.
The school are aware of is problems,but the structure of the school is proving very difficult for him,he is working 2-3 years behind is peers,and is in an english group of six at the moment.
my sons sef esteem is very low at the moment is behaviour is very challenging,having problems in pe,copying from the board,ollowin instructions plus lots more.
He is also having great problems keeping up with is peers in class, and says is fingers are aching and cramping,he is also haveving lots of mod swings.
problems with awarness of times and needs constant reminders.
I have been having problems with my son for a long time he is on school action plus,and i believe he has dyspraxia but no one will say at the moment,its really heartbreaking seeing him struggle,should i go back to dr sharpe at calderdale royal,or my doctors to get a referal to see a neurophyscolgist or back to the senco at school and ask for an physco education evaluation or anyone advice me further or any advice would be greatley appreciated.thankyou .........

buddywebster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

advice given hope it helps?

Post  kathy1 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:20 pm

I would suggest you do all of the things you mentioned below.
1, See your Dr armed with a list of difficulties, concerns and questions on how he/she can be of further help. Ask for a referral, OT, paediatrician etc it may take a while but at least he may get some additional help.
2, regarding school do the same and make an appointment with the Senco and his form tutor and again ask for additional help for him, a referral for addition help maybe, do thy have extra classes or does the senco run a group where he could go to do homework, get support. When Amy was at high school, she use to go to the senco about twice a week as she dropped German and here she went over anything she didn't understand, supported her with homework etc. I was also on good terms with her form tutor who kept me informed if she had any concerns over Amy in school which really helped her. Is there a buddy scheme where by students can help your son get from lesson to lesson? This helped Amy especially as the building was rather large and had plenty of stairs, nightmare but she coped with the help.
Making sure all his tutors know about his needs is important and again the senco should explain how they are going to carry this out. You say he is on school action plus, were you and son involved with the target settings? Are they achievable? Again if they are not his confidence will suffer. they need to be achievable so that he can see success? Could he do any work on a laptop, school maybe able to provide one with additional funding or he use one in school during lessons. Regarding organisational skills again having a buddy could help, colour coding books etc will assist, clear pencil case. Homework can be nightmare, as they put a lot of effort in school they are tired, unfortunately they need to do it, getting into a good routine with the help from yourself, access to school library, and extra classess will all assist for the future. he may not appreciate it but it does pay off. Setting times when homework has to be done, keeping schedules all help. Using highlighters for homework dates when it has to be handed in etc make it a little easier. Discuss all this at your meeting on how you and school can assist him.
It isn't easy I know from experience it took Amy a while to get into the habit of handing work on time and yes it took her hours, but over the time things did improve.
Sorry I seem to sound so negative, I'm not with the right assitance and support he can succeed.
Let me know how you get on and if I can be of further assistance. I can if you wish send you an information pack which may help you when asking questions etc just let me know.
Take care Kathy. Smile Smile

kathy1

Back to top Go down

Re: can anyone give me some advice please

Post  buddywebster on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Hi Kathy,sorry not been intouch for a while,we are still waiting to see a ot takes such a long time we have filled all the relevent paper work in so its just along wait.
just wished we new someone who did it privatley.
My son is still having a terrible time at school,and cannot wait until its fridays to finish,he gets really down bless him,its a real struggle with is work and homework,we just try to keep him happy.
The school parents evening is not until march so im going to see if i can see the senco a little time before.i will let you know how we go on.happy new year to you

buddywebster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hello there

Post  kathym on Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:26 pm

hi Happy new year to you. I'm sorry to hear that things have not improved for your son. I would be inclined to make an appointment before March to see his tutor and senco. Did i send you one of our infoemation packs? if not if you send me your address to k_moorhouse@sky.com and I'll send one out. It contains some useful tips which may help school understand Dyspraixa betterand work out some solutions for your son.. I wonder if they would allow your son to have a laptop in some if not all of his lessons, or maybe for homework. My own daughter her school let her have one and it made a huge difference, although she had a statement. Sorry for not replying sooner, have been busy with work etc.
look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards Kathy.

kathym

Back to top Go down

Re: can anyone give me some advice please

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down