Dyspraxiawy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meeting with teacher

3 posters

Go down

Meeting with teacher Empty Meeting with teacher

Post  Slightlymad Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:21 pm

Yesterday I was called into school for a meeting with my sons teacher. She was asking me questions about what my son is like at home and what he can and cannot do.
She then said that she was concerned that he might have Dyspraxia. She has asked if she can refer him to the school nurse for her opinion.
I agreed then when I got home I hit the internet, and found that a lot of things that happen with him where on the "symptoms" list.
Have I just done the found it on the internet and thats it routine or have others done this.
Is the referal to the school nurse the way to go or do I need to do anything?
He has started to go to a co-ordination club that is held in school on a Tuesday, so hopefully this will help.
Please any ideas, help or fedback would be most helpful. I do not now where to start.

Slightlymad

Back to top Go down

Meeting with teacher Empty Re: Meeting with teacher

Post  jan Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:26 pm

I found that there was very little knowledge or understanding about dyspraixa at my son's school. A teaching assistant had mentioned to me that she thought he may have dyspraxia as her son had it. No teacher ever suggested this to me. I was finally moved to action when at a parents evening, when my son was 6, I was told by the teacher that she had never come across a child like him and didn't know what to do about it!
This prompted me to think again about the possibility of dyspraxia and so I went to see a GP who was very knowledgable about child development. She referred my son to a community paediatrician who confirmed the diagnosis. However there was very little on offer to support him. The paediatrician said my son would benefit from occupational therpay but that this wasn't available locally. I have had many problems trying to get the school to recognise my son's needs and have found the whole experience very frustrating

jan

Back to top Go down

Meeting with teacher Empty Meeting with teacher

Post  Slightlymad Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:40 pm

Thanks Jan. My sons school have arranged for a pedeatrition to see him and they are already drafting his IEP so things are moving along.
I think I have been very lucky as I have a very good relationship with the SENCO at school as I help with a dyslexic reading scheme they run as a volunteer.

Slightlymad

Back to top Go down

Meeting with teacher Empty book may help

Post  kathy1 Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:18 pm

The book called Developmental Dyspraxia "Identification and Intervention" written by madeleine Portwood maybe of assistance. A no nonsense book full of information, hints and tips as well as programmes for your children to follow. School may also benefit from this book. It also explains about dyspraxia in a non jargan way so a good book to have at your resource.

kathy1

Back to top Go down

Meeting with teacher Empty Caged in chaos

Post  eggle97 Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:06 pm

Caged in Chaos is very good. Caged in Chaos; A Dyspraxic Guide to Breaking Free by Victoria Biggs.

It is written by Vicky and describes her problems whilst growing up - it is full of advice and information.

As an adult with the condition who also has a teanage son with dypraxia i found it to be a very good read. it put the problems that i had when growing up in perspective and helped me understand my son's incarnation of the condition.

You can get the book from Dyspraxia Foundation or any good book shop.

eggle97

Back to top Go down

Meeting with teacher Empty Re: Meeting with teacher

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down