Dyspraxiawy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

adults with dyspraxia?

2 posters

Go down

adults with dyspraxia? Empty adults with dyspraxia?

Post  lo tae shao Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 am

Hi, my name's samantha (sam). I'm wondering if there are any adults on here with dyspraxia? I'm 23 in Wakefield x

lo tae shao

Back to top Go down

adults with dyspraxia? Empty Re: adults with dyspraxia?

Post  lo tae shao Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:21 am

No replies... Sad

Not many peoples on here are there? Well my e-mail & yahoo messenger is lotashao@yahoo.co.uk If anyone wants a natter. I'm 23; living with partner (soon to be hubby Smile ) got diagnosed 2 years ago. I like; music (learning the tin whistle), sewing, computer games, astronomy/cosmology (I am THE maths genius lol). Got mostly B's and C's at GCSE with no help but struggled with A levels. Function just fine my own way, go through a lot of crockery though... thinking of getting some melamine ones!

hehe

Sam

x

lo tae shao

Back to top Go down

Post  eggle97 Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:55 pm

hi
my name is nick and i have dysparxia, as does my 13 year old son.

my hobbies are music - i play guitar and drums badly.

i work in an advertising agency

eggle97

Back to top Go down

Post  lo tae shao Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:15 pm

Hey nick, just checked back and saw your reply. What sort of music do you play? My tin whistlings are coming on but I'm nowhere near professional level yet =P. H2B plays guitar in an Irish folky rock type band.

Sorry if this comes across as a daft question but what do in an advertising company? And don't say advertise!
I've got a little business on eBay selling clothes, it's not making me a millionaire but it pays the bills.

How’s your son doing in school? My little brother (Asperger Syndrome) finished last year, he’s not really sure what he wants to do right now. My mother isn’t really helping but I’ll save that for another day.

All the best

Sam

x

lo tae shao

Back to top Go down

Post  eggle97 Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:37 pm

hi Sam

Your H2B was spot on about my guitar - i'm impressed very few appear to have heard of Eggles.

I play rock/blues - ish . I also play the mandolin and the irish drum - which i fell in love with following a long boozy weekend in Dublin with my partner (sue) and her kids. Does your HSB gig? If so gives us a shout.

I am a big fan of all guitar based music particularly 80's prog i'm afraid - but listen to all sorts from modern to way back to before even i was born.

I am a senior analyst/planner in a large DM agency based in sheffield, my job is predominently campaign analysis and then making sure that the right people are targetted, plus i do all of the analysis from research jobs our sister agency do. So they keep me busy.

My son Mickey hates school (as did i) - but he does very well accademically - they have given him a laptop which is a huge help but he has problems with bullying so i am off to see them in Sept.

We are going to portugal on Thursday (Sue, Mikey and me) so we are all looking forward to the break.

When i get back i have offered to join Kathys comittee - see if i can do anything proactive, said i would catch up with her when i get back.

Mikey lives in Nottingham with his mum, but previously i went on a couple of camping weekends with Notts Dyspraxia connection- i have never met any adults with dyspraxia before - it was a really fantastic weekend. When you have gone through 30 + years just being a bit of a "freek" it was great to talk about it and have a laugh and be "normal" with people who dont judge you cos you struggle climbing over a fence or don't do smalltalk or football.

If not tomorrow then i will catch you in a couple of week

nick

eggle97

Back to top Go down

Post  lo tae shao Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:38 am

Hi nick,

Yeah he bet himself 10p that you did, he took on a teacher type voice as he told me guitars of that quality are born not made… He’s also quite impressed that you play mandolin as it’s something he’s been thinking about learning for a while.

The only blues I’ve ever been subjected to is a local band called Ugly which I loved. Shortly after seeing them they dumped the lead singer (because he was too old) and they went down the pan. The guitarist Sam thought he was god and although he was an excellent guitarist, he didn’t have the voice or stage presence to take it on.

I’m mainly a country and folk fan, the only rock that I ever really got on with was punk when I was younger, mainly due to pent up anger but I’m sure you know all about that yourself.

They did gig, That’s how we met. I was serving him his beer patricks day 06’ while he was doing his best to stop staring at me behind the bar, he wasn’t on top form that night… They’re currently in the process of getting the band back together, in the form of an open mike night at the black bull in swallownest, sheffield if you’re interested. In short the lead singer (gav) had some things to sort out, so the band was put on hold. They have a short clip on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJX_UoAhQOk , Dave is the one with the telecaster.

“I am a senior analyst/planner in a large DM agency based in sheffield, my job is predominently campaign analysis and then making sure that the right people are targetted, plus i do all of the analysis from research jobs our sister agency do. So they keep me busy.”

All this went straight over my head, sorry.

I was nick-named Psycho-sam at school, need I say more? Luckily I do absorb information quite readily (not sure if that’s a dyspraxic trait or not) so when it came to exams I did ok, even though I didn’t follow what was being taught I knew the answers (if that makes sense). I still know for example the only substantial body of water in africa is lake chad and coniferious trees grow best from 70-85 degrees latitude (which got me 4B’s 5C’s & 1D).

I tried phoning kathy a while back but just got her answer phone. If there’s anything I can help out with I’ll be up for it. I’ll wait until she’s back before getting in touch though. I’ve been thinking about going back to my old school as of late and doing a talk about dyspraxia, and how much it hurts to have teachers mock you for your weaknesses. Hehe Twisted Evil

Sam

x

lo tae shao

Back to top Go down

Post  eggle97 Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am

Hi Sam -

He shouldnt be overly impressed - i have kind of learned the basics and hit a huge wall - my fingers just wont let me go any further. But i enjoy playing but i think that the Eggle is totally wasted on me; but it is really lovely. The mando is ok - it is good for noodling but i dont read music and mando tab is really difficult to find, then when you do find it you dont know what the tune is suposed to sound like - but it is good fun and keeps me out of mischief.

Sorry - i have worked in marketiung for years and have fallen into the trap of talking bull - very simply we design adverts and my job is to work out how well they are working and what they need to do to improve them next time. We are very sucessful and our client list includes co-op bank, open university, HSBC, Budget insurance, bravissimo, Kaleidoscope and lots of others! What do you do?

Last day at work for a couple of weeks. Went out for someones birthday last night - got in at 2 - not feeling particularly well!

Will check out you tube when i get home.

Wouldn't mind checking out the band - work in Sheffield so sounds good - let me know when they up next and we will come and have a look.

need to focus now!

Talk to you in a couple of weeks
nick x

eggle97

Back to top Go down

Post  lo tae shao Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi again, never grasped sheet music but Dave can’t really read it either. I’m taking lessons on tin whistle from an Irish priest on youtube and that’s working for me! Quite a few came up when I typed in mandolin lessons (youtube again) so at least you know what they’re supposed to sound like.

Ah right, that’s a little easier to understand. Thanks for that, is it freelance? Or do you work in an office? I’ve got my own business on eBay selling clothes. After failing miserably at college and 9-5 several times (before I was diagnosed), I went into bar work but found eBay and thought BRILLIANT!! I can work if and when I want.

Dave delivers Chinese and I help him on a Sunday when it’s busy. I’m going back to college this September to do an access to maths/astronomy (now I know what was going wrong). Not that it’s that relevant anymore because we’re moving to Bulgaria in a couple of years to settle down and grow chickens Laughing . I’m just doing it for fun (geekily). geek

Have a good time and I’ll speak to you when you get back

Sam

x

lo tae shao

Back to top Go down

Post  eggle97 Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:50 pm

hiya

Today is dragging, i'm bored! No one is around on MSN land and i have finished my work - but stuck here waiting for the ex to drop mikey off.

Never thought about Youtube for lessons - thanks for that. I do a bit of Ebay from time to time - what do you sell? We did a car boot a couple of weeks ago and that is a whole new world of strageness!

I work in an office and commute from Brighouse every day, our agency is employs about 100, but we are part of a much larger PLC.

Maths and astranomy - wow very impressive and geeky!

Why Bulgaria? is it safe - Russian's and all that?

nick x

eggle97

Back to top Go down

Post  eggle97 Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:56 pm

hi sam

back from hols and had a gret couple of weeks. the only entertainment we found in portugal was from irish bars - very strange. How are things with you?

Had to do lots of walking as the beach could only be acessed via over 100 steps!

I see we now have an American spell checker - its a gopod start but lets hope that they can find an UK English version as spelling is confusing enough!

Nick

eggle97

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum